The Melendy Pond Authority (MPA) was created in 1950 and is comprised of a six-member board. Five of the members are voting members elected at Town Meeting to overlapping terms and one non-voting member represents the lessees.
The MPA administers the land around Melendy Pond, which includes 27 leased lots. The 2002 Town Meeting directed the MPA to not execute any future leases or options to renew leases for the properties.
Since 1999 multiple study committees have examined potential future uses of the property. The reports from the committees are available under "links" to the left.